The Deadly Box Jellyfish
A 20-year-old German woman, Thies Saskia died at a popular Thai resort island after being stung by a box jellyfish. 3 died in 14 months in Thailand from one of the world’s most toxic jellyfish.
Thies Saskia was taking an evening swim at a Koh Samui beach when she was stung by the jellyfish, whose sting can kill an adult within minutes. A friend of the woman, also a German tourist, was stung on the hand by a jellyfish but survived.
The other two recent deaths from box jellyfish occurred at another popular island in the Gulf of Thailand, Koh Phangan, known for the Full Moon Party. A Thai woman died there after being stung this past August, while a 5-year-old French boy died from a sting in August 2014.
Business owners are afraid that putting up warning signs would reduce the number of tourists. Is that right! Let the tourists die so you can keep that flow of money!
Jellyfish are typically found in Thai waters during the rainy season, which runs roughly from June through October.
In the past seven years the numbers of box jellyfish in Thailand have increased due to several factors:
- Global warming.
- Waste released from the shore that attracts jellyfish seeking food into shallow waters.
- Decline in the numbers of sea turtles that eat jellyfish.
Unlike many other jellyfish, box jellyfish do not float on the sea surface but swim deeper and are harder to see,it’s advisable not to swim at night.
Box jellyfish have tentacles that can reach 3 meters (10 feet) long. The sting is so excruciating that many victims go into shock and drown. Those who make it out of the water often die from the venom, which quickly attacks the heart and nervous system.