PM Prayuth, should start his corruption cleanup campaign with the Thai royal army. Get rid of all these useless generals with their inflated salaries.
- This year’s military reshuffle which takes effect in three weeks will result in the appointments of 1,092 generals.
Thailand’s total military strength is 550,000 men and women, of whom about 245,000 are reserve or paramilitary.
- The United States, by contrast, has a total military and paramilitary strength of 2.2 million,spread worldwide and 600 generals.
- China, People’s Liberation Armed Forces has a total military and paramilitary strength of 3.9 million and 191 generals.
The key positions in this year’s reshuffle:
- Gen Sirichai Distakul, the chief-of-staff of the Royal Thai Armed Forces, who is made the defense permanent secretary to work with defense Minister Prawit Wongsuwon.
- Gen Worapong Sanga-net is made the Supreme Commander.
- Gen Sommai Kaodeera is made the chief-of-staff of the Royal Thai Armed Forces and he is tipped to be the next supreme commander in next year’s reshuffle.
- Assistant army chief Paiboon Khumchaya is made deputy Supreme Commander.
- 4th Army Region Commander Lt Gen Walit Rojanapakdi is appointed deputy chief-of-staff at the the Royal Thai Armed Forces.
- Deputy army chief Udomdej Sitabutr will officially take the helm as army head after Gen Prayuth retires at the end of this month.
- Third Army commander Lt Gen Preecha Chan-ocha, brother of Gen Prayuth, and 1st Army Region commander Lt Gen Thirachai Nakwanich are promoted as assistants to the army commander.
- Army deputy chief-of-staff Lt Gen Kampanat Ruddith is made the 1st Army commander.
- Maj Gen Thawat Sukplang is appointed the 2nd Army commander, Maj Gen Sathit Pittarat the 3rd Army commander and Maj Gen Sathit Pittarat the 3rd Army commander and Maj Gen Prakan Chonlayuth the 4th Army commander.
- In the navy, assistant navy chief Kaisorn Chansuwanich is appointed to replace navy chief Adm Narong Pipattanasai.
- Adm Kaisorn is succeeded by Adm Na Areenij, who is tipped to become the next navy commander in next year’s reshuffle.
- Rear Adm Thanakarn Kraikruan as the commander of the Marine Corps.
- Rear Adm Yuj Pichitchumpol as chief of the Naval Special Warfare Command.
- In the air force, ACM Treetos Sonjaeng succeeds ACM Prajin Juntong as air force commander.
- ACM Sutthipan Krissanakupt and ACM Siwikiat Chayema are appointed assistants to the air force commander.
- Air Marshal Chom Rungsawang is promoted to air force chief-of-staff.