Happy 66th Birthday Thaksin
- Born 26 July 1949. Net worth $1.64 Billion. #10 Thailand’s Richest list.
- The former police officer founded the mobile phone operator AIS and the IT and telecommunications conglomerate Shin Corporation in 1987, that made him one of the richest people in Thailand.
- He joined politics in 1994, founded the Thai Rak Thai Party (TRT) in 1998 and, after a landslide electoral victory, became prime minister in 2001.
- Thaksin’s government launched programs to reduce poverty, expand infrastructure, promote small and medium-sized enterprises, and universal healthcare coverage.
- Thaksin declared a “war on drugs” in which more than 2,500 people died.
- He took a strong-arm approach against the separatist insurgency in the Muslim southern provinces.
- He was overthrown in a military coup on 19 September 2006. His party was outlawed and he was barred from political activity. Thaksin has since lived in self-imposed exile in Dubai.